We asked what attracts foreign students to Canada. Why it is worth studying in this country? What advantages of studying in Canada can they allocate for future foreign students?
It is quite easy to enroll in universities and colleges in Canada. Education in Canadian universities begins 2 times a year, in some colleges even 3 times. The admissions committee is ready to decide on enrollment within 2-4 weeks from the date of submission of documents.
Most Canadian higher education institutions accept graduates of foreign schools based on a Certificate of Secondary Education. International students do not need to take an additional preparatory year. Sometimes students are required to submit a sample of an academic report, it is quite comprehensive, so students tend to book report help to get higher grades.
Affordable tuition fee
Students confidently note that the cost of studying in Canada is much lower than in other English-speaking countries.
* Colleges – from 13,000 to 17,000 CAD per year
* Universities-from 18,000 CAD per year
It is important to note that the costs of accommodation, food, and transport are about 11 000 – 12 0000 CAD per year. This is significantly lower than in the US or the UK.
Work during training
Working while studying is an important advantage for students. Many students who study in Canada are limited in funds. The additional income helps to cover the costs of food, moving.
International students can work up to 20 hours a week while studying in Canada and up to 40 hours a week during the holidays. They receive a work permit together with a Study Permit on the day of entry into the country.
Education – the path to immigration
It is no secret that 70 % of students who study in Canada want to immigrate in the future. A professional diploma, certificate, bachelor’s or master’s degree allows such students to obtain the necessary knowledge for further immigration.
Variety of training programs
Each college or university in Canada offers students a wide range of programs by course, duration of the study, cost, and admission conditions. This is the biggest advantage of the Canadian education system.
For example: after graduating from a foreign university, a student can enroll in a master’s program, or get a post-graduate professional education. The choice of the program will depend on the goals of the student, his financial capabilities. The post-graduate education program will be cheaper. The duration of training under this program will be 1 year less.
Students note that Canadian colleges focus on practical vocational education. Canada needs to train future specialists in practical skills in the shortest possible time. This compensates for the lack of labor. And if you are studying at a college in a certain specialty, be sure that this specialty is in demand. You will be able to find a job after graduation.
Work permit after graduation from college or university
Post-Graduation Work Permit is a program of the Canadian government for international students. It allows you to get a work permit after graduating from college or university. In simple words, you can stay working in Canada for 1 to 3 years. And this is regardless of whether you have a job or not.
Higher education in Canada is in demand among international students. Studying in this country allows you to get a high-level academic diploma, get practical knowledge and work experience. In addition to high standards in education, Canada offers foreign students employment and the opportunity to immigrate.
Free education in Canada: myth or reality
There are many myths about studying abroad, namely about studying in Canada. One of the most popular is free education. There is an opinion among students and parents that you can get an education in Canada without spending a penny.
Higher education in Canada is paid for everyone without exception. The minimum cost for one year of study at a Canadian college is 22,000 Canadian dollars. Universities can only grant scholarships for research courses
The cost of studying for one year in college will cost from $ 11,000 to $ 17,000 per year, at the university-from $ 17,000 to $ 25,000 per year. We agree that the cost of training is not cheap, especially since you will have to pay for accommodation, food, relocation, insurance, textbooks.
Discounts on studying in Canada
In Canada, there are two types of discounts for training:
- a reduction in the cost of training
- Scholarship or grant-funding of education by the foundation at the university
What is important for future students to know? – Discounts are not provided by Canadian colleges or universities to all students. They are given for merits in training, portfolio or to attract new students.
Scholarships are the financing of your studies by a third party, for example, a foundation. There are very few such scholarships in Canada. They can be obtained by students who study chemistry, physics, biotechnology, psychology, or other sciences. Only a few receive scholarships. These programs do not give the right to work during training.
Why are there no scholarships in Canadian colleges and universities?
The Canadian government is trying to reduce the unemployment rate. Therefore, universities and colleges offer programs at the end of which you can confidently find a job. Yes, you will not study for free in Canada, but you can work while studying at a college or university. After graduation, get a Post Graduation Work Permit – a work permit in Canada from 1 to 3 years.
How to reduce the cost of training?
- Choose to study in provinces where the cost of living and training is lower: Winnipeg, Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba. For example, the cost of studying at the University of Winnipeg is from 11 000 – 15 000 Canadian dollars per year, much lower than in the universities of the province of Ontario.
- Study well! Colleges and universities give discounts for good grades. The amounts are small, from 1000 to 3000 Canadian dollars, but still.
- Choose scientific courses, especially if you will study at the University of Canada.
- Work while studying – this is a chance to earn pocket money, textbooks, food. Canada will allow foreign students to work up to 20 hours a week during their studies and up to 40 hours during the holidays. The average salary per hour is 10 Canadian dollars.
- Get a work permit after graduating from a university or college in Canada-Post Graduation Work Permit. You can legally work without a work visa.
- Go to college if you can’t afford to pay for university. The cost of studying at a Canadian college is much lower. Colleges also offer programs of different duration, from 1 year to 4 years. You can save on the duration of training.
- Get a bachelor’s degree in your home country, and a Post Graduate Program in Canada. These programs last for 1 year. They are intended for students with a bachelor’s degree who want to get a profession and work in Canada.