You all know how to operate a computer and which file is more important and which is not. Similarly, there is a file in your computer which is a .exe file meaning an executable file named Agent.exe.
This file is located in your program file’s folder as we will further on disclose its location to you but for now, let us study what this file actually does to your computer.
It is a hypothesis of some people that this file works like a virus in the computer and some say that it works to protect the operating system from other viruses.
If you have seen the file format of this Agent.exe so you can determine various things like this file is an executable file and many executable files can harm your computer in some cases.
With that said, in this article, you can learn about the file and decide whether the file is a virus for your operating system or whether the file belongs to the operating system.
What Is Agent.exe?
Agent.exe is an executable file which is a part of Flexera Software’s Install Shield Update Service Agent. The file is used for monitoring the install shield server as well as it installs and updates the software.
Furthermore, it is a process to update different applications of different software publishers. If you check the Task Manager you will find Agent.exe in there, it is usually checking if the software is up to date or not and is usually updating some software every moment.
Is Agent.exe a Virus?
Although, some people think that executable files are some kind of virus and that’s why they are afraid of having executable files in their system.
We assure you that this agent.exe file is not a virus, it is simply used for updating and installing software applications. But sometimes a malware or two can disguise their true identity and can slip into your PC with the same name as agent.exe and can corrupt your files.
So if you do not know how to check the location from Task Manager follow the instructions below.
- Right-click the Windows taskbar and select Task Manager to open or if you want a shortcut then press Ctrl + Alt + Del altogether on your keyboard to open the Task Manager
- When the Task Manager window opens navigate your cursor to the process tab
- In the process tab scroll until you see agent.exe and then right-click on the process
- When you will right-click on the process a dropbox will open in there you will find an option Open file location from the menu, click on that option
- If the file location is in C:\Windows\ System 32 or C:\ Windows then it is a chance that the file contains some sort of a virus which is disguising itself as a system process
- After that, you should perform a virus scan immediately with your antivirus
If you want to know the right location of this original file agent.exe is then the file is in C:\ Program files\ Common files\ Install shield\ Update service\ agent.exe.
You can also find this file in the software folder who is using this file for updates.
Can I Delete the Agent.exe?
If you are thinking of uninstalling the process then you should not think like that because this file is an important part of the system.
But if the file is taking high usage or causing high disk usage on your system then you should immediately uninstall that software who is using this process file for updating.
If you do not know how to install a program then we are here to help. Follow the instruction that is mentioned below.
- First, press Windows logo key + R altogether on your keyboard to open the Run dialogue box
- After that type appwiz.cpl on the run dialogue box and hit enter to open the program and features window
- After that, scroll down until you find the program who is using agent.exe
- When you find the program right-click on the program and click on uninstall or you can just click on the program and then click on the uninstall button which is on top
- After all the things are done, the uninstallation is completed then you just have to restart the computer to normal the disk usage.
These steps will guide you to exact software that you are finding. Or you can use this as well to keep the treatment.
The best practices for resolving agent.exe issues can be various. If you keep cleaning your computer daily that will avoid all your issues that this file will create.
The resmon command can help you identify the problem that is causing you this much trouble.
If a problem occurs instead of reinstalling the whole operating system you are advised to repair the installation or if you have Windows 8 or a bigger version of Windows you are advised to execute DISM.exe/online/clean-image/Restorehealth command.
This command will allow repairing the operating system without losing any data of yours. If you wanna analyze the agent.exe there are only to ways to do so.
First, Security Task Manager, it will show you all the running processes and programs including the hidden programs that are anonymously working into the system such as the keyboard, browser monitoring and autostart entries.
The Security task Manager will tell you the security risk rating of every program because every program has a unique security rating that will help you identify which is malware, spyware or a Trojan.
Second, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, it will instantly detect and removes all the types of viruses from your hardware such as sleepy spyware, adware, malware, Trojans, keyloggers and trackers.
As we have learned all about agent.exe you should explore this file into your system.
If you have any sorts of queries we will be happy to answer all you have to do is to comment in our comment section and we will try to get back with your answer shortly.