If you are a beginner grower and first thought about marijuana cultivation, you are probably worried about how many seeds are necessary for a successful harvest. Naturally, the number of seeds directly depends on various factors, for example, the size of the growing room, the cultivation method, and the desired crop. The real number of necessary seeds can vary significantly depending on your experience and preferences. Therefore, before looking for marijuanas seeds for sale, read our articleб, in which we will reveal a few secrets of successful weed growing.
What Factors Affect the Number of Seeds?
As a rule, seed sellers, who, like the Herbies online store, value their reputation, guarantee 100% seed germination. So, theoretically, you don’t have to take extra seeds in case they don’t sprout. However, you should take into account that cultivation is a natural process, and not every seedling survives and thrives. If you are in the early stages of growing, it is best to have a small supply of extra seeds. Anyway, if you are using high-quality seeds, you may require fewer seeds to achieve the desired yield compared to using lower-quality seeds.
Experts also advise planting one seed per pot to prevent plants from competing with each other for nutrients and to reduce the chance of cross-pollination. If you already know how much space you have for planting, then, on average, it takes about 1-2 seeds per square foot of territory. However, this is just a general estimate, and the number of seeds needed can vary significantly depending on the following factors:
- Cultivation method. For example, if you are using a hydroponic system, you may require more seeds per square foot compared to traditional soil-based cultivation. This is because hydroponic systems typically require more plants to fill the space and achieve optimal yields.
- Desired yield. If you are looking to produce a large amount of marijuana, you will need more seeds per square foot compared to a grower who is only looking to produce a small amount. It is important to note that the number of seeds required for a particular yield will also depend on the strain of marijuana being grown.
- Size of the grow space. If you have a small grow space, you may only need a few seeds to fill the area and achieve a decent yield. On the other hand, if you have a large grow space, you may require more seeds to fill the area and achieve optimal yields.
Type of Seeds and Their Quantity: How to Choose?
For growing, you can choose regular seeds or feminized cannabis seeds:
- If you use ordinary seeds, then the probability that a female plant will grow from a seed is about 60%. As the plants develop, you will eliminate the males, so you will need more seeds to increase the chance of eventually growing more female plants.
- When using feminized seeds, there is a 99.9% chance that the seed will grow into a female plant. That’s why Herbies and similar retailers offer a wide range of feminized or autoflowering seeds.
As experience shows, not every seed is viable and germinates; therefore, when calculating the number of seeds, proceed from a germination rate of 93%.