Writing a college essay is never easy, especially when it is a part of your application. We all understand its importance and how badly it might play out for you if you fail. Education is crucial for your future career and income. That’s why we are offering you a few tips about writing admission essays. Use them to impress the jury and get into the college you dream about.
- Be friendly and natural. «You need to show your personality through this work, so don’t put up defenses. Ideally, your piece has to describe who you are and why you have become this kind of person. Be yourself and don’t try to wear a mask – it is easy to see through it, not to mention that admission officers won’t be amused with lies», says Daniel Wade, an editor from essaywriter.nyc company.
- Show some originality. Prove it is your own essay and not a plagiarized piece. Make it stand out. Most students choose dull and overused topics to write their pieces. Don’t fall in this trap and look better. A good technique is to discard the first ten topics that will come to your mind and then take a closer look at the others. Don’t write about non-exciting things, even if they seem important.
- Be an upbeat person. Nothing disappoints admission officers more than self-pity. Write about something that excites you – and your emotions will be conveyed to your reader automatically. Don’t feign the enthusiasm, however. No matter how well you pretend – the reader will understand.
- Intrigue your reader. Start your essay with a mysterious introduction and keep the suspense until the very end. Don’t let your reader get bored or relaxed for even a second. Don’t give out all the information from the very beginning. Instead, let it out in portions leading to the culmination.
- Prioritize. There are word limits in place, so you can’t afford to be excessively eloquent. Select the most valuable and meaningful things you want to write about and cut out the rest. This way you won’t litter your college essay with distractions.
- Make jokes. However, do so only if they are really funny and appropriate. Also, don’t try to be humorous all the time – there is a good chance an admission officer will get annoyed all too soon. One great joke will serve better than ten mediocre puns.
Do my essay skills need improvement?
Sometimes, however, students just cannot come up with decent essays and realize it quite clearly. In this case, it is better to give up trying and hire a professional. You will learn to fulfill writing assignments in college – but first, you have to get in. There are plenty of services where you can get assistance or even buy an entire paper. Make no mistake – you are not cheating, you are only setting your priorities. And the biggest one is to get into a college.
And what can serve this purpose better than an essay? On a few pages, applicants will demonstrate their life views and opinions, their systems of values, and conformity to appropriate requirements. Thus, this assignment has nothing to do with a resume or application form, where a candidate simply enumerates his qualifications and achievements. Essay writing is a way to demonstrate one’s uniqueness and creativity, as well as to tell about valuable experiences and expertise that make him a deserving candidate. On the other hand, is it much easier for admission officers to choose the right people when they have something more than just a dull CV.
To write strong essays for college admissions one should:
- Know the institution he is applying to. Every educational establishment has its own set of requirements and knowing them beforehand will help you succeed. Try going through essays of former applicants who managed to get enrolled (available online). By reading a couple of them, you will be able to identify their common traits. Follow this basis when working on your own piece.
- Stay focused and answer the question asked. If the topic was not defined, you are free to let your thought roam about. However, if there are prompts for an application essay, one should follow them strictly. NEVER EVER violate the word limit. Even if you have something to say, try to compress it to meet the requirement. In most cases, excessively long submittals are discarded at once.
- Engage other people. If you go with ‘help me write my essay’ plea to your friends and relatives, they might come up with brilliant ideas. The secret is, they are not under pressure and thus think more freely. They might help with the entire concept of your piece or help you identify the strong points of your personality.
- Be unique and natural. Essay writing rules apply here as well, and you shouldn’t turn your narrative piece into a dry account of merits. Instead, tell them a story. Describe a building you were born in. Explain how your grandmother helped you overcome autism. Make sure you explain how these people and experiences formed your personality and helped you develop qualities that make you a perfect candidate for enrollment.
- Avoid submitting mediocre work and get help from all possible sources. The stakes are too high, and you can’t afford to risk your success. That’s why one should always start in advance, consult specialists (if possible) and friends, write a few drafts and review the piece several times with long time breaks in between. Only hard and persistent work will help you get your deserved place in college.