Apple, Google and Microsoft all major manufacturers have built a so-called dark mode into their operating systems for smartphones, tablets and computers. The manufacturers promise more pleasant screen work.
The dark mode is said to be less tiring for the eyes and helps focus on texts and emails. The dark screen colour should also protect the smartphone battery.
Some studies may indicate that a reversal of contrast as in dark mode leads to less myopia.
However, these are very early dates from which no conclusions can yet be drawn.
For a long time, users have been demanding a “dark mode” for iOS. While Apple is only slowly responding to this request via appropriate settings in the accessibility, things are getting serious on the Mac.
The new operating system macOS Mojave brings the long-awaited dark appearance to the big screen and also works system-wide. We’ll explain how to activate the new feature.
Apple users have a desire for the so-called “dark mode”. What sounds spectacular is actually “only” a dark appearance of the respective operating system.
Some see it as a fancier surface, while others find it easier on the eyes.
The request is aimed at iOS, among other things, but is only fulfilled very slowly by the group and via hidden menu items in the accessibility features.
So you can not speak of a real dark mode on the iPhone. Apple, on the other hand, has completed the work on the Mac and is fulfilling this wish for its customers.
This means that the feature can be used after the update to the new macOS Mojave.
It is more than just a darkened menu bar: System windows are also changed in colour, with white text on a dark grey background.
It starts with the message centre, extends through the system settings and ends with the volume display.
Even apps can change their appearance. Apple has already adapted the design for Mail, Safari, Calendar, iTunes and other programs, but other developers can also redesign their apps.
Important to know that the dark mode is optional, which means: you have to switch it on specifically. Anyone who doesn’t want to miss the previous colour scheme can continue to use it.
macOS Mojave or newer includes dark mode, a completely new form of display that is easy on the eyes and helps you to concentrate on your work.
In the dark mode, a dark colour scheme is used, which can be used system-wide. It can also be used in the apps built into the Mac. Even third-party apps can use the mode.
The “Dark” mode was specially developed for professionals who edit photos and images. Colours and design elements stand out particularly clearly against dark app backgrounds.
Dark Mode Saves Electricity
It depends on which display you use.
“Dark mode doesn’t do much for liquid crystal displays (LCD editor’s note),” says Patrick Schauberger from the Institute for Large-Scale Microelectronics at the University of Stuttgart.
The reason is that with almost all liquid crystal screens, a light shines continuously behind the display, even if only a few pixels are bright.
That always costs the same amount of electricity.
Things are different with OLED displays. Since with this technology, every pixel glows itself, energy can be saved with every pixel that remains dark.
Features or Behaviour of Dark Mode
Some apps and features have special settings or behaviours for dark mode.
- Mail. choose mail/preference for email messages when dark mode is selected. It is used for light backgrounds. Then click the Appearance tab and deselect “Use dark backgrounds for messages.”
- Cards.when dark mode is activated and you use the light background for maps click on the ‘view’ menu bar to deactivate the option.
- Notes. When you want to write notes in the dark mode you should use the light background for doing this you should go to notes app and open notes, then go to preferences.
- Safari: If you use dark mode, a website in Safari will automatically appear in dark mode if the website supports this mode.
- TextEdit: This option is used when you want to deactivate the text edit app while the dark mode is activated and you want to use light mode background for maps. You must click on the ‘view’ menu bar to deactivate the option you start background for the windows.
- Dynamic desk: When you activate the dark mode with the dynamic desk it may turn into a dark picture or image. It can be changed by the options in the settings of screen savers.
For the activation of the dark mode for your android mac or any other device, you must have the latest Evernote version.
However. If you take this time and do not switch to normal mode immediately after the first horror the dark mode can have its CHARM.
This Is How We Activate the Dark Mode on mac
The requirements for this tip only refer to the operating system.
If the Mac is offered an update to macOS Mojave and you install it, then the requirements have already been met. The hardware has nothing to do with the whole, only the system counts.
- To activate, first, start your Mac and then click on the Apple logo. This is also at the top of the menu bar for this macOS.
- to continue clicking on the system setting and general setting.
- Now the item “Appearance” appears and you can select the entry “Dark”.
- Done, from this point on the Mac shines in a dark coat of paint.
Of course, you can change the whole thing again. To do this, follow the instructions again, but at the end select “Light” and not “Dark”.
All apps are of course influenced by Apple’s side, be it the calendar, the finder or the email program. So you get your dark mode in full, but it can look a little different for third-party applications.
Here it depends on the developer whether he integrates the feature or not.
However, at least for the most popular apps, it can be assumed that they will be supplied with a corresponding update either directly at the start of macOS Mojave or shortly afterwards.
You like dark mode on iOS as well as on macOS because the overall picture is glaring to the eyes. In iOS, you also have the benefit that the battery is less loaded with a darker colour than with lighter colours.
When editing photos you also find the dark mode helpful because all the menus move visually to the background and you keep the focus on the photo.
Some people just think that the dark mode makes it easier to focus on.
The dark mode was widely accepted by mac users and they used it with pleasure. In the meantime, most software developers have also bothered to install a special colour scheme for dark mode in their apps.
Almost all apps come with dark eye-friendly looks if you have activated the mode under mac.